Some Common Problems:
- Low value of ad impressions = low revenue for media companies
- Lack of advertising leads
- No differentiation from one media company to another in eyes of advertisers
- Low repeat audience engagement
Problem: Low value of ad impressions
Solution: Collecting online leads would encourage advertisers to buy more online ad space. This would result in more internet sales, helping you reach new ad budgets.
Problem: Lack of quality sales leads
Solution: Inbound marketing connects the sales team with quality leads. These leads have already expressed an interest in your media company. The sales call is no longer "cold".
Problem: No differentiation from one media company to another in eyes of advertisers
Many media companies have taken their content and advertising digital. This makes it hard for readers to differentiate one media company from the next. My favorite TV channel, radio station and magazine have similar looking websites (from both a content and advertising perspective.)
Solution: Media companies need to stop selling impressions of people to advertisers. Advertiser's can't connect directly to an impression. bu yet, they can connect directly to a lead!
Stop telling advertisers that you captured clicks. Start telling them that you generated "X" amount of leads.
For example you can deliver segmented lists like these:
- X amount of leads from people who are starting the search for a home in the next month
- X amount of leads from people who are searching for a home in 2 months
- X amount of leads from people who are searching for a home in 6 months.
Problem: Low repeat audience engagement. Media companies struggle having readers return to their website.
Solution: Progressive profiling. This offers your website visitors customized offers/ads. It will motivate the audience to interact with your website more often.
How to set up simple progressive profiling:
- Step 1: Send an email containing a promotion for your audience to sign up for.
- Step 2: On the sign up form for the promotion ask questions to help you plan the best ads to place in front of them.
- Step 3: Offer them relevant ads for what they like so they feel like you know them.
This is a quick overview of how inbound marketing can help media companies.